Friday, July 22, 2011

Hey there...

...And welcome to my corner. I decided to start writing about atheism and religion as it is one of my favorite topics. Also, I tended to complain that one of my favorite blogs did not update often enough even though it has 5 or 6 contributors, so instead of whining about it I decided to just start one myself.

In the past few years I've really thought about my beliefs and how I got here. I'd venture to say the majority of people (probably worldwide but certainly here in the U.S.) never bother to really examine their beliefs and opinions along with the underlying implications of such. Pity that's the case as I think the world would be a better place if they did.

One of the things that severely troubles me is just how much misinformation and outright nonsense people will readily swallow and perpetrate on others. More than anything else I strive to dispel this. I often say that I'm not out to convert anyone, certainly not to my worldview, but that I simply wish for them to think critically about what they believe. And, perhaps a bit selfishly, to understand why I hold my own position.

Some people really do think they have made a clever and valid point when they say something like "Why do atheists have get together and talk about atheism - they are just talking about nothing haha!" and whatnot. In fact if Stupid Things Said About Atheism were my only topic here I'd still have plenty of material to work with for years to come. But enough banter. Please feel free to stay a bit and leave a comment. Thanks!

No comments:

Post a Comment